(NC) As summer heats up and Canadians start expanding their social circles, they are taking to their backyards to host friends and family to make the most of summer. However, they often find themselves spending more time cooking and cleaning than enjoying time with their guests.
Don’t let cleanup be a hassle and take time away from your hosting. A recent survey found that 12% of Canadians are concerned about not spending time with guests at get-togethers.
Fortunately, with a high-powered dishwasher such as the LG QuadWash, you’ll be able to easily clean messy mixing bowls and spoons. Featuring advanced TrueSteam technology that maximizes steam coverage, to get into every nook and cranny of your dishes without needing a prewash, you can spend less time cleaning and more time with your company.
Here, Celebrity Chef Anna Olson shares her favourite summer pudding recipe that’s packed full of flavour and easy to prepare.
Princess of Puddings
Prep time: Under 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% or whole milk
- ¼ cup (60 g) unsalted butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 (45 mL) tbsp maple syrup
- 1 (5 mL) tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ (100 g) cup dry plain breadcrumbs
Fruit jam layer:
- 1 ½ (375 mL) cups fresh summer fruits
- 1 (15 mL) tbsp lemon juice
- 1 (250 mL) cup raspberry or other fruit jam
Maple meringue topping:
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ (60 mL) cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350OF (180OC) and lightly grease a six-cup (1.5L) baking dish.
- For the pudding layer, heat milk, butter and lemon zest together over medium heat until butter has melted. Whisk egg yolks, maple syrup and vanilla together and slowly add warm milk while whisking constantly. Whisk in breadcrumbs and let sit about 5 minutes.
- Pour pudding into the prepared dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until it springs back when gently pressed.
- Prepare fruit jam by placing fruits and lemon juice in a small saucepan and simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes to reduce liquid. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the jam.
- Make your meringue. With an electric beater, whip egg whites on high speed until they are foamy, then slowly pour in maple syrup and continue to whip until it holds stiff peaks.
- To assemble, spread fruit jam filling over the still-hot baked pudding. Dollop meringue over the jam layer and spread it so it covers the jam. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. Cool the pudding for an hour then spoon into individual dishes to serve.