- 1/3 cup (83 mL) each all-purpose flour and cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 cups (1 L) PC peppermint hot chocolate ice cream, softened at room temperature for 20 minutes
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup (188 mL) granulated sugar
- For the cake, begin by preheating oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line bottom and sides of 9- x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) overhang on two opposite sides.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in small bowl; set aside. Whisk together egg, sugar and oil in large bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until smooth. Scrape into prepared loaf pan, smoothing top.
- Bake until puffed and toothpick inserted in centre comes out with a few small crumbs attached, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Scrape softened ice cream over top of cooled chocolate layer, smoothing top. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- For the meringue, beat egg whites with cream of tartar in separate large bowl using electric hand-mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium high and gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time. Increase speed to high, beat until glossy and stiff peaks form, about 1 minute.
- To assemble the baked Alaska, line baking sheet with foil. Lifting with parchment, remove cake from pan; peel off parchment and place cake on prepared baking sheet. Spread meringue all over top and sides of cake, making layer on top of ice cream thicker than sides. Using back of spoon, make swirly peaks in meringue. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high. Broil cake on middle rack, rotating baking sheet once or twice to toast evenly, until meringue peaks are golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Watch closely or broil with oven door slightly ajar to ensure meringue doesn’t burn.
- Cut into 10 slices. Serve immediately.
Tip: For mini baked Alaskas, divide the chocolate batter among 10 greased wells of standard muffin tin and bake on middle rack of 350ºF (180ºC) oven 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool, then remove to a foil-lined baking sheet and top each round with a scoop of ice cream, dividing evenly. Freeze 2 hours, then spread meringue all over tops and sides. Freeze 30 minutes. Broil as directed in recipe above.
Nutritional information per slice: calories 260, fat 11 g, sodium 50 mg, carbohydrates 31g, fibre 1 g, sugars 34 g, protein 4 g.