One lot of Traditional Medicinals “Throat Coat Lemon Echinacea” herbal tea recalled because of potential contamination with Salmonella
Health Canada is advising Canadians that one lot of “Throat Coat Lemon Echinacea” herbal tea is being voluntarily recalled by Traditional Medicinals after a company supplier found Salmonella contamination in a tea ingredient (lemon myrtle leaf). An infection caused by Salmonella bacteria may pose serious health risks, particularly for young children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with weak immune systems.
The recalled product was sold at stores across Canada and online, including Amazon Canada, Bulk Barn, Loblaws, London Drugs and Walmart. It is promoted to relieve the symptoms and shorten the duration of upper respiratory tract infections.
- Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat Lemon Echinacea herbal tea (NPN 80028539) Lot #019, Expiry date February 2021
What you should do
- Do not use this product. Consult with your health care professional if you have used this product and have health concerns.
- Traditional Medicinals is advising consumers to discard products from the affected lot and to contact the company by telephone at 1-800-543-4372 for reimbursement or with any questions about this recall.
- Report adverse events to health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-866-234-2345, or by reporting online, by mail or by fax.
- Report complaints about health products to Health Canada by calling toll-free at 1-800-267-9675, or complete an online complaint form.
Who is affected
- Consumers who have bought or used the affected product
Salmonella are bacteria that can cause intestinal illness (salmonellosis). They pose serious health risks. Symptoms of Salmonella infection include diarrhea, fever, nausea, abdominal cramps and vomiting. The symptoms can appear 12 to 72 hours after exposure and the illness usually lasts four to seven days. The risk of serious health effects is greatest for young children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with weak immune systems.