BY KAVITA SHYAM
There is a reason why people put different oils in and on the belly button.
Our navel is undoubtedly an incredible thing!
Many people take to applying a beauty oil or therapeutic oil every night, wait for it—inside the belly button. It’s a pretty magical spot, magical enough to even treat your diseases, turn imbalances, treats various ailments (or disturbances) in the body and make your skin glow.
Our navel is a fantastic gift that has been gifted to us. The first part created after conception is the navel, it joins the mother’s placenta through the umbilical cord.
The navel acts as the source of removing toxins, nourishing the organs, and pumping nutrients around the body.
The navel depicts the origin of life, linking mother and child before birth and providing a tube for nutrients to flow between their bodies. Navel is believed to be the energy center, one that if taken care of, can bring balance, nourishment and peace to our mind and body.
The other aspect of this is the fact that our navel is connected to many detox pathways, veins, colon, digestion, blood vessels, both large and small intestines as well as our reproductive organs, it is therefore beneficial to provide oil massage as it is powerfully absorbed and transferred where needed.
All our veins are correlated to our navel, making it an integral part of our body, it is life itself! This means once the oil is inserted into the navel, it beautifully is absorbed and effortlessly distributed throughout the body, courtesy the lines formed in its umbilical cord. The navel can also detect which veins have dried up, and by putting oil, those nerves open them.
For instance, to lower the temperature to the babies, we put a cotton swab with oil in the navel, it works wonders.
Applying oil in the navel heals the dryness of the eyes, poor eye condition, the pancreas, the heels, and chapped lips, keeps the face glowing, the hair healthier, helps in knee pain, the unnecessary chills, digestion, lethargy, pain in the joints or even dry skin.
Here are a few quick navel oiling, belly goodness tips for healing –
1. Apply neem oil in your belly button – to bid goodbye to stubborn pimples, blemishes, acne, cystic acne, scars, red rashes and itchiness.
2. Apply almond oil in your belly button- to help attain a radiant face, best for glowing skin and for supple skin
3. Apply mustard oil in your belly button – to get rid of dry and chapped lips, if you suffer from poor vision, rubbing a diluted solution of mustard oil on the belly button can improve your eye health. It is also a good way to reduce the appearance of puffy eyes and dark circles.
It will also keep the intestines in good shape to get free of harmful bacteria and keep the good flora, working as a mild detox.
4. Apply an equal amount of mustard oil and ginger oil for upset stomach, gas, bloating, nausea or any digestive problems, menstrual cramps and vomiting.
5. Apply olive oil or coconut oil in your belly button- to improve your fertility (both men & women)
6. Coconut oil – fertility (both men & women), inflammation, cooling properties, dry skin
7. Alcohol dipped cotton on your belly button – to cure a cold, flu, and a running nose. When a baby has stomach pain, put a few drops directly in the navel, and we give the massage around the naval a few minutes, the pain is cured. Oil works the same way.
8. Apply brandy-soaked cotton ball on your belly button – to ease menstrual pain and cramps
9. Sesame oil can be applied on the belly, for all types of joint pains, also works to strengthen bones. Do this ritual at bedtime
10. Apply warm, clarified butter or ghee to improve blood flow to the nervous system and enhance the immunity system. It cures constipation and builds a robust digestive system besides gives relief from joint pain. It also softens your skin.
11. Apply thyme oil as it is anti-spasmodic, it helps relax the arteries and veins, lowering blood pressure and pressure to the heart. It may also help strengthen the heart muscles.
A diuretic, thyme oil may help your body to remove excess water, salt, and toxins from your body, helping with weight, blood pressure, digestion, and more.
An expectorant, which means it can help remove mucus from the lungs. Great for treating bronchitis, whooping cough, and upper respiratory inflammation.
Ideally, it should be diluted with a carrier oil – like olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil.
12. Castor oil- massaging the belly button regularly with castor oil and rosemary oil can relieve the symptoms and manage your joint stiffness, joint pain and menstrual cramps better.
At night before bed, put 3 drops of castor oil in your navel and spread it 1 and a half inches around your navel.
13. using warm ghee improves blood flow to the nervous system and also enhances the immunity system. It cures constipation and builds a strong digestive system. It gives relief from joint pain too.
This needs to be done daily and you can either apply one time before bed or if having severe condition, then apply it 2 to 3 times per day. Also, the oil needs to be slightly warm for best results.
Holistic coach, linda goodman says, “you can expect increased moisture, decreased acne, and a robust, supple skin barrier; via mustard oil, neem oil, olive oil or coconut and tea tree essential oil.
At night before bed, put 3 drops of oil in your navel and spread it 1 and a half inches around your navel.
You can keep a small drip jar with the oil required next to your bed and place a few drops in your navel before going to sleep. This will make it convenient to pour and avoid extra spilling.”
Happy belly bathing!