Starting August 25, masks are required in all public indoor settings for all people born in 2009 or earlier (12+).
- Malls, shopping centres
- Grocery and liquor stores
- Coffee shops
- On public transportation, in a taxi or ride-sharing vehicle
- Clothing and retail stores
- Areas of office buildings where services to the public are provided
- Common areas of sport and fitness centres when not engaged in physical activity
- Common areas of post-secondary institutions and non-profit organizations
- Inside schools for all K to 12 staff, visitors and students in grades 4 to 12
- Drug stores
- Community centres
- Recreation centres
- City Halls
- Restaurants, pubs and bars when not seated at a table
Note: The order will be reassessed when proof of vaccination and B.C.’s vaccine card are fully implemented.
There are exemptions for:
- People with health conditions or with physical, cognitive or mental impairments who cannot wear one
- People who cannot remove a mask on their own
- Children under the age of 12
- People who need to remove their masks to communicate due to another person’s hearing impairment
A face shield is not a substitute for a mask as it has an opening below the mouth.