July 14, 2020
SURREY, BC – The National Police Federation (NPF) committed to continuing its efforts to expose the lack of consultation, clarity and costing when it comes to the proposed Surrey police transition at a media roundtable on Monday, July 13 in Surrey. Brian Sauvé, President, and Trevor Dinwoodie, Regional Director, met with reporters on Monday to answer questions about the costly transition plan.
“A plan that fails to consult community organizations, ignores the growing concerns of residents, and doesn’t include transparent direct and indirect costing isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on,” said Sauvé. “Surrey residents want to see continued improvements to public safety, not more costs and less service delivered with a new badge.”
Surrey’s proposed police transition would reduce the number of police officers in Surrey: giving people less for more, as taxpayers would be burdened with unexpected and growing costs related to the transition. Funding the plan has also resulted in the cancellation of several long-awaited and promised projects and services that would have benefited residents of Surrey including a new YMCA in Surrey City Centre, and the closure of Community Centres.
The Surrey RCMP has helped drive a significant decline in crime rates to what is now a ten-year low, while many of Canada’s other large cities, including Vancouver, Halifax, or Calgary, have experienced increased crime.
“It is now the responsibility of the newly appointed Surrey Police Board to answer the demands by Surrey residents for greater engagement, transparency and accountability,” added Sauvé. “Everyone expects them to answer the questions that the City of Surrey has refused to answer.”
“Just last week, Premier John Horgan told Richard Zussman during a Facebook Live interview that the transition is nowhere near done,” added Sauvé. “We are going to keep fighting to make sure that Surrey residents are heard, and that public safety is put first.”