Easy elegance for special occasion desserts
There’s always room for dessert, especially as the cooler weather rolls around. Meringue-based pavlovas make the perfect signature dessert worthy of any celebration. They are festive, sure to please and surprisingly easy to prepare and enjoy.
This delicious recipe is an inspired variation where California grapes add a pop of colour to the bright white meringue backdrop of a pavlova. Red grapes are particularly beautiful here, and their flavourful juiciness contrasts with the pure sweetness of the meringue. Sweet-tart lemon curd cream brings in additional flavour dimensions and colour.
Prep time: 25
Cook time: 30
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 2 tsp (5 g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon curd
- 1 ½ cups (252 g) halved California grapes
- Chopped smoked or tamari almonds (optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. With an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt in a large bowl on medium speed until firm peaks form. On low speed, add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until the meringue forms stiff peaks. Whisk in cornstarch and vanilla.
- Divide meringue into six 4-inch circles on the baking sheet. With a large spoon, make indentations in the middle of each. Place baking sheet in the oven and lower the temperature to 300°F. Bake 30 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the baking sheet in for another 30 minutes.
- To serve, whip the cream to soft peaks and stir in the lemon curd. Dollop onto the meringues and top with the grapes. Garnish with almonds, if desired.