The New Car Dealers Association of BC is the provincial industry association that represents 375 new car and truck dealers throughout British Columbia.
A report entitled Economic Impact of Members of the New Car Dealers Association of BC in 2017 and prepared by MNP Chartered Accountants, reveals:\
- The new car sector in B.C. generated over $16 billion in retail sales last year, an increase of 85 per cent since 2010
- B.C.’s New Car Dealers contributed $2.9 Billion of total GDP into B.C. last year
- The sector generated $675 million in total revenue to all three levels of government
- The number of new vehicles sold in BC increased from 157,000 to 237,000 – or 51 percent between 2010 and 2017
- Employment at new car dealerships increased 22 per cent between 2010 and 2017
- In 2017, new car dealers were responsible for almost 30,000 family supporting jobs for British Columbians across the province.
- NCDA members also spend approximately $154 million each year on new dealership construction and renovation. The economic spinoff includes 1,200 FTEs of employment and $34 million in revenue to all levels of government.
- The share of total retail sales in B.C. attributed to new car dealers increased from 15 per cent to 19 per cent between 2010 and 2017
- The study also includes economic impacts generated by NCDA members in comparison to other industries, suggesting:
- The employment generated by NCDA members is equivalent to the employment supported by the construction of approximately 10,000-11,000 new homes
- The total employment generated from the operations of NCDA members in 2017 was equivalent to the employment supported by the filming of a full season of 30-35 high-end television productions
- The employment generated by the operations of NCDA members is equivalent to the employment generated through the handling of 3.5 million containers at the Port of Vancouver.