(NC) Tender puff pastry is prepared with two different toppings to whet the appetites of your Christmas party guests. In one hand, they’ll have tart pears topped with walnuts and sweet honey, and in the other, a salty prosciutto and sundried tomato with bitter arugula. Both are layered on a creamy ricotta cheese base. Everything needed to make this budget-friendly, delicious decadence can be found at Walmart for less than $1.70 a serving.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 (4 canapes each)
- 1 450 g package butter puff pastry, thawed
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 cup (250 mL) ricotta cheese
• 1/2 pear, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup (125 mL) toasted walnuts, chopped
• 3 tbsp. (45 mL) honey
• 1 cup (250 mL) arugula
- 8 slices prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) sundried tomatoes, chopped
- Heat oven to 400F (200C). Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- Unroll one sheet of puff pastry. Cut pastry evenly into 4 strips. Cut each strip evenly into 4 parts to make 16 squares. Place on prepared pan, score 2 or 3 times with a fork and brush with egg wash. Bake until golden and puffed; about 14 minutes. Repeat with remaining sheet. Cool 5 minutes.
- Spread each square with 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ricotta cheese. Top 16 squares with pear slices, walnuts and a drizzle of honey. Top remaining 16 squares with arugula, prosciutto and sundried tomatoes.