Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 4 cups (1 L) blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or blackberries, or a combination
- 1 can (300 mL) Eagle Brand regular or low fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Robin Hood original all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) milk
- Sauce: Place berries, sweetened condensed milk, water, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large pot or Dutch oven with a lid. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and cook gently until slightly cooked down.
- Dumplings: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter and add milk. Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot berry sauce. Cover tightly with lid and simmer for 15 minutes, making sure not to lift the lid. The dumplings should be puffed and well-cooked.
- Place dumplings in serving dish and ladle sauce on top.
Camping tip: Can also be made in cast iron Dutch oven over campfire. To make preparing the dumplings even easier, pre-measure dry ingredients in a re-sealable bag, add in remaining ingredients and mix.