One lot each of Option+ Family Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50+ and Personnelle Sport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50+ have been voluntarily recalled by Empack Spraytech Inc. because of bacterial contamination.
The sunscreens were found to contain multiple types of bacteria:
- Lactobacillus brevis, and
- Either Micrococcus luteus or Staphylococcus hominis novobiosepticus (see table below).
Although Lactobacillus brevis has not been documented to cause any illness in humans, the other two (Micrococcus luteus or Staphylococcus hominis novobiosepticus) may result in infection. The risk may be higher in children and individuals with a weakened immune system. To date, Health Canada has not received any adverse reaction reports involving the recalled sunscreens.
What you should do
- Do not use the recalled products identified above. Consult with your health care professional if you have used these products and have health concerns.
- Contact Empack Spraytech Inc. if you have questions about this recall by emailing email@example.com or calling toll-free at 1-866-923-2665.
- Report any health product-related adverse reactions or complaints to Health Canada.