British Columbians whose ability to work has been affected because of the COVID-19 pandemic and are receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) can now apply for the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers (BCEBW) online.
The BCEBW is a one-time, tax-free payment of $1,000 for eligible British Columbians.
To be eligible for the BCEBW, people must:
· have been a resident of B.C. on March 15, 2020;
· meet the eligibility requirements for the CERB;
· have been approved for the CERB, even if a federal benefit payment has not yet been received;
· be at least 15 years old on the date of application;
· have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return; and
· not be receiving provincial income assistance or disability assistance.
Applying online is the fastest, easiest way to receive the benefit. To apply, British Columbians with their social insurance number and direct deposit information can go to: www.gov.bc.ca/workerbenefit
On Monday, May 4, 2020, agents will be available by phone to assist people who need help applying, including those who do not have internet access.
To apply for the CERB, visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
To learn more about the supports and services available for people, businesses and communities through the pandemic, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/financial-benefits
For the latest medical updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and testing, visit: http://www.bccdc.ca