This hearty taco recipe features sweet potatoes, navy beans, corn and a spicy chipotle crème for a vibrant, healthy dinner from Ontario Bean Growers.
Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 10-12 tacos
- 1 large sweet potato, diced, about 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (540 mL) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) corn, canned or frozen and defrosted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 2 limes
- 1 avocado, diced
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) chipotle chili powder
- Juice from half a lime
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) chipotle chili pepper (optional)
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add diced sweet potatoes and 1/4 cup water. Cook until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add garlic and navy beans, cook 2 to 3 minutes until garlic is fragrant and beans are heated through. Add corn, paprika, cumin, chill powders and remaining water. Cook until water has evaporated, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- To make the sauce, add yogurt, chipotle powder (more if you would like it spicier) and lime juice to a small bowl; stir until combined.
- Serve sweet potato and bean filling on tortillas topped with avocado, chipotle sauce and cilantro.