Baked cheese with Apple-Pear Confit
(NC) Serves: 6
- 1 round (170 g) PC La Belle Rivière washed-rind soft surface ripened cheese
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 Bosc pear
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) PC Black Label simple syrup cocktail mixer
- 1 2×1 inch (5×2.5 cm) piece lemon zest
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Cut top rind off cheese; discard rind. Place cheese in glass pie plate. Set aside and let come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, core, and dice apple and pear; place in small saucepan. Add wine, cocktail mixer, lemon zest, and juice. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit is very tender or about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove fruit from poaching liquid using slotted spoon; set aside. Return pan to stove top over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup and is a light golden caramel colour. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes. Combine fruit and poaching liquid; set aside.
- Bake cheese 4 to 6 minutes or until softened and warmed through. Spoon 1/4 cup apple-pear confit mixture on top; sprinkle with hazelnuts. Serve in pie plate with crackers and flatbread.
Per serving: Calories 110, fat 9 g, sodium, 220 mg, carbohydrates 4g, fibre 1 g, protein, 6 g.